April 13, 2010
Smart brow shaping
4/F Greenbelt 5, Ayala Center, Makati City
tel. (632) 501-3998
Brow construction (either threading or tweezing), Php580
Browgraphy (which includes brow construction and color tweaking), Php 1,280
Ana Santos, employee
If the eyes tell you a lot about a person, then what do someones eyebrows tell you?
A lot! says Roberta Abad, managing director of Browhaus, emphatically.
Good grooming is so important. First impressions last and at the on-set, you cannot initially tell if someone is a kind person for sure, right? So the next best thing is to be properly groomed at all times. And this includes eyebrows, Abad quips.
Im certainly no stranger to getting my eyebrows waxed, threaded, or shaved. Ive had just about any possible manipulation done on my eyebrows. I was, like a lot of women, obsessed with keeping my brows to a mere minimum. I would always have one problem, though. I usually felt like the quality of my eyebrow shaping was a matter of luck. Often, how happy I was with the finished job was directly related to the mood of the brow stylist. Ive had brows that looked like they belonged on different faces if the stylist was having a bad day.
This is something that Browhaus considers an ultimate no-no.
All of our brow architects are extensively trained to make eyebrows their business. And apart from the training, we have tools of the trade like a special thread which is 100 per cent cotton and made just for the eyebrows. People are always surprised to hear that its [this thread] is exclusively for the eyebrows and made from the materials that were used way back in the olden times, explains Abad who says that all the materials from Browhaus are sourced directly from The Strip franchise group so all the products are of the same quality.
Abad whisked me off to get my first ever browgraphy at the newly opened Browhaus in Greenbelt 5.
I met my brow architect named Grace and she took me through the whole process
1. First was the evaluation. Grace carefully studied my eyebrows and told me that one side was over plucked. From here, she assessed the shape of my face. She recommended that I let my eyebrows grow out a bit so that they would even out. Grace even let me in on eyebrow trends. Generally, the fad now is thicker eyebrows. And overall, thicker eyebrows can make one look younger.
2. Taking her recommendation and the shape my eyebrows were in, we talked about the shape. This is so there will be no surprises, says Abad, who was also walking me through the process. Both you and your brow architect need to be on the same page. You dont want to look in the mirror after [the procedure] and scream.
3. Then my eyebrows were dyed. There are many things that we put on our face that affect the color of our eyebrowslike astringents and creams, starts Abad. Thats why it is important to match the color of the eyebrows with the hair on your head. The dye used at Browhaus is all-natural, non-toxic and completely safe. Eyebrows can be lightened or darkened and the dyeing only process takes about 10 to 12 minutes.
4. After that, came the hard parta combination of threading and the subsequent plucking of any stray hairs that were left behind by the threading. Threading, which may be best described as tiny little pinches on your skin, is often a dreaded process and the reason why most women opt to shave their eyebrows. If youre a threader, youll notice that our Brow Architects have a certain way of doing it which is not that painful. They pull in the direction of the hair growth, shares Abad in a soothing voice.
5. My eyebrows were visibly reddish from all the plucking, so Grace whipped out a special Ice Cream cream, which she applied to the brow area. The effect was like putting cooling cream on a bad sunburnthere was an instant soothing sensation.
6. Giving me a mirror to look at the results, Grace assured me, We record every procedure you have at Browhaus so the next time you come, your Brow Architect will know what was done and make sure that the exact same procedure is done. This is to ensure that youll achieve or maintain your ideal eyebrow shape.
And was I happy with the result? I was very impressed with the detail, and the attention that went into the procedure. It did take a bit longer than the usual shaving and plucking Im used to (overall, about 30 to 45 minutes), but after many years of leaving my eyebrows to chance, and suffering the consequences, I could finally rely on the precise art of browgraphy to allay my eyebrow anxieties.
Do you have an opinion on the product we just tested? Want us to try out a new product? Email