There's nothing like a bowl of hot, freshly cooked sinigang on a cold rainy day. More so if it's teeming with tender, slow-roasted meat. Read more
Healthful eating three ways
A hot new trio of cookbooks can help those with diabetes and the people who care about them enjoy delicious, nutritious dishes together. Read more
A refreshing citrussy drink
Here's an interesting calamansi juice with a ginger-y twist. Read more
Adobo with a foreign twist
The Filipino national dish, Adobo, is given a 'gourmet' twist by Diamond Hotel's executive chef Marko Rankel. Read more
Juicy fall-off-the-bone ribs
Luscious, juicy and melt-in-the-mouth tender to the bite... everybody loves baby back ribs. Now you can try making your own. Read more
A different kind of spring roll
If you love salmon and you love spring rolls, then you'd love this Salmon Puri Puri Salad because it combines both. Read more
Confetti couscous salad
This smart salad offers a new twist on a popular food. Read more
Refreshing warm salad
Yes, beef and veggies do go very well together. This Warm Thai Beef Salad is as refreshing and light as it can get. Find the recipe in Pantry. Read more
Fresh native salad for summer
Summer's the perfect time to enjoy a fresh salad, such as this ensaladang lato, whose recipe resident foodie Dolly Dy-Zulueta shares in Pantry. Read more
A light and nutritious pasta dish for Lent
Looking for a meatless dish that's not only delicious but light, healthy and nutritious as well? Resident foodie Dolly Dy-Zulueta suggests crabstick and malunggay pasta. Read more
The Lenten season brings challenges to make no-meat meals as appetizing and flavorful. Thankfully, Century Tuna and nutritionist to the stars Nadine Tengco came up with delectable and filling Lent-friendly recipes for the aspiring Superbods. Read more
Shrimp might be one of the healthiest items you can add to starch. It is also one of the most delicate to handle. It is easy to overcook shrimps, so it's important to correctly gauge the heat when cooking them.
It was thus the ideal vehicle for cookware brand Ballarini to showcase its line of Italian-made nonstick cookware. Its two cookware lines, Salento Keravis Whitestone and the Greenline, feature the Thermopoint device on the handles. This device changes color according to the cooking temperature, indicating when the pan is ready to use thus improving cooking quality and avoiding overheating. The Thermopoint also signals when the pan is is cool enough to be washed—preventing the pan from being subjected to thermal shock and contributing to the increase in life span of the pan.
Grappa's Ristorante's head chef, Clinton Nuyda shared this shrimp recipe using the Ballarini cookware. In Step 5, it is important to have the pan at high heat, and reduce the heat for two minutes afterwards to get the desired results: firm but juicy shrimps.
SCAMPI AL BURRO (Shrimp Scampi with Potato Puree)
Serves four appetizer portions
Shrimp Scampi with Potato Puree
4 medium size prawns peeled with tail on and deveined
1 Potato and cut into eight
60 mL of cream
30 mL of olive oil
30 grams of minced garlic
60mL of white wine
30grams of unsalted butter
Juice of 1 lemon
4 piece wedges of 1 Lemon
10 grams of chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
Salento Keravis Whitestone
1. Place potatoes in a small sauce pot and cover with water. Season water like the taste of the ocean. Bring to a boil and then to a medium simmer stirring potatoes occasionally.
2. Soften potatoes enough to where when poked with a paring knife it slides off with ease. Around 15 to 18 minutes.
3. Strain potatoes and mash with a potato masher or fork.
4. Put cream into the small sauce pot and heat until warm. Add potatoes and stir on medium heat until creamy. Cover with a lid and set aside.
5. Place a small saute pan on high heat and add olive oil. When hot, add shrimps on its side and reduce heat to medium for two minutes. Flip over on its other side and continue to cook for a minute or so.
6. Add minced garlic and sweat briefly.
7. Add White wine and reduce slightly. Add lemon juice and butter.
8. Emulsify the garlic, lemon and butter sauce along with the shrimp and turn off heat. Add chopped parsley.
9. Place big spoonfuls of the potato puree on a serving dish and top with the shrimp standing up. Drizzle with sauce and serve with lemon wedges.